Sinus Surgery in Alexandria, VA
Endoscopic sinus surgery involves the insertion of the endoscope, a very thin fiber-optic tube, into the nose for a direct visual examination of the openings into the sinuses. With state of the art micro-telescopes and instruments, abnormal and obstructive tissues are then removed. In the majority of cases, the surgical procedure is performed entirely through the nostrils, leaving no external scars. There is little swelling and only mild discomfort.
How much bleeding should I expect?
You will have some bleeding after surgery for the first day or two due to the fact that your nose will not be packed.
What if my nose continues to bleed?
Dampen a cotton ball with Afrin Original Spray and place in the nose. If bleeding persists for more than 1/2 hour, please contact the physician.
How much pain should I expect?
Little to no pain however, there will be congestion.
Do I have to call my insurance to pre-certify?
No. The office staff will take care of the pre-authorizations, however, the patient is responsible for any referrals. Post Operative Debridements are not included in the global surgery and referrals are necessary for some plans. Please talk with the billing staff if you have questions.
Post Op Instructions
The post-operative care for septum surgery is simple, but extremely important.
- START THE FIRST DAY. Liberal use (every couple of hours while awake) of Ocean Spray (salt water) is vital. You should buy it at once in the store, then refill with salt solution. (One tablespoon of salt to one quart of water.) Begin the irrigation when arriving at home.
- Use Afrin Original Spray in each nostril 3 times day for five days.
- If bleeding persists, call the office. The best treatment for this is a cotton ball with Afrin Original (oxymetazoline) placed in the nose.
- Start antibiotics the next day. Avoid aspirin for pain for 3 weeks. Low doses of Motrin is okay.
- Do not blow your nose until the physician indicates (it will be at least a week following surgery). If you sneeze keep your mouth open.
- Refrain from exercise for at least 1 week. Low exercise may be resumed 1 week following surgery. Heavier exercise may be resumed 2 weeks following surgery.
Expect nasal congestion and stuffiness for about two weeks. Also expect some pain on upper/lower jaw, teeth, ears, and neck.
Following surgery, several sinus debridements are necessary for proper healing. This procedure is done in the office and if your insurance plan requires referrals, you will need a referral for these 3 debridements. The debridements are not included in the global surgical care – additional charges apply.